Mint Chip Protein Balls are an easy homemade way to get an extra boost of protein while knowing what’s inside your bar (or ball!).
High-Protein Snack Idea!
We love a good high-protein snack here at Fit Foodie Finds, especially if it’s homemade. You all love our homemade peanut butter protein bars and go crazy for our protein cookies!
Today we’re taking our famous peanut butter protein balls and giving them a mint chocolate twist. They taste like a mint chocolate cookie, but are so much better for you! Enjoy.
Why you’ll love it!
- Almond butter: almond butter is the base of these protein balls.
- Chocolate protein powder: feel free to use your favorite protein powder for this recipe. It’s important to like the taste of your protein powder since you need 1/3 cup.
- Cocoa powder: cocoa powder adds extra chocolate flavor.
- Mint extract: mint extract is our secret weapon for giving these balls a minty flavor.
- Oats: oats add great texture and whole grains.
- Maple Syrup: we love the warmth of maple syrup. Feel free to use maple or honey.
- Chocolate chips: because every protein ball deserves some chocolate chips!
Use your favorite nut butter: any kind of drippy nut butter works for this recipe — almond, cashew, or peanut. The #1 thing you need to make sure of is that it’s drippy so that it can mix together with the other ingredients nicely.
Protein powder matters: this recipe calls for chocolate protein powder. You can use either plant-based or whey. Remember, that there is 1/3 cup of protein powder so use one that you like. If these taste “chalky” it’s because you have bad protein powder.
Use water: water is used to make sure the dough is malleable enough to roll into balls. You should need around 1-4 teaspoons.
Store mint chocolate protein balls in an airtight container (or gallon-size bag) in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Place protein balls on a baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet into the freezer for 1 hour.
- Transfer balls into a freezer-safe gallon-size bag and remove as much air as possible and seal.
- Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- 1 cup drippy all-natural almond butter or cashew butter
- 1/3 cup chocolate protein powder we used Garden of Life*
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons mint extract
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 – 4 teaspoons water
Place almond butter (it must be drippy!), protein powder, rolled oats, maple syrup and mini chocolate chips into a medium bowl.
Use a wooden spoon or your hands to mix the dough together. At this point, begin to add water by the teaspoon.
Depending on how drippy your almond butter is, you’ll need to add more or less water. The water not only helps moisten things so your balls hold shape, but they actually help your balls become less chalky.
Use a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop dough into your palms. Roll into balls until all dough is gone. You should get somewhere between 15-20 balls.
Store in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Tips & Notes
- The amount of water is determined by how drippy the almond butt is and how much moisture the protein powder soaks up. Water also helps add a bit of moisture to the protein ball so they don’t taste chalky. Start with 1 teaspoon and go from there.
Calories: 109kcal Carbohydrates: 7g Protein: 4g Fat: 8g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Ashley McGlaughlin from The Edible Perspective.