Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
The days are long, but the years are short. That’s how it feels when Littles turn into Bigs, and when much-awaited balmy summers come and go.
Yet some things stay the same. In a home, tricycles eventually give way to cars, but bowls of creamy chocolate ice cream will always cap off a perfect summer day.
This 6-ingredient homemade chocolate ice cream has been a family favorite for many years, and it still brings joy to family and friends – we think you’ll feel the same.
Chocolate Ice Cream: 6 ingredients
The day our oldest asked for a sundae bar with chocolate fudge sauce was the day this magnificent chocolate ice cream was born.
Egg-based ice creams are definitely extra creamy. My favorite homemade vanilla bean ice cream uses tempered eggs. But for ease and simplicity, nothing beats this 6-ingredient chocolate ice cream, without eggs. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Dutch process cocoa powder, unsweetened (your favorite popular brand will work fine.)
- Brown sugar – just be sure it’s fresh and hasn’t lost moisture from sitting in pantry too long
- White sugar – granulated sugar, not powdered
- Whole milk – use whole milk, to give you the creamiest results. Avoid skim milk.
- Heavy cream – stick with pure heavy cream, for the best texture. We don’t recommend substituting with half & half here.
- Vanilla extract – be sure to use pure vanilla extract vs. imitation vanilla flavorings.
If you plan on making ice cream more than once or twice, it’s well worth having an ice cream maker, like the one we’ve owned for years. It’ll churn out not only ice cream, but sorbet, gelato, and frozen yogurt as well.
Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
Commonly Asked Questions
Egg yolks are what typically provides the fat required for a dense and creamy texture. However, tempering eggs on stovetop is somewhat tricky. This chocolate ice cream allows you to achieve a rich and creamy texture with whole milk and heavy cream.
Be sure to churn your ice cream long enough, so adequate air gets churned in to the mixture, providing some “fluff.” A good ice cream maker will do the trick.
Always start with super cold ingredients and be sure the bowl is 100% frozen prior to use. The colder everything is, the better your ice cream will churn.
About 25-30 minutes is sufficient for many home ice cream makers. It’s important to follow your machine’s manufacturer directions for churning.
More to Make and enjoy:
Watch how to make ice cream:
Easy Chocolate Ice Cream (no eggs)
This simple and easy chocolate ice cream is rich, full of chocolate flavor, and completely egg-free. Only 6 ingredients.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup Dutch process cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, very cold
- 3 1/4 cups heavy cream, very cold
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Whisk: In a chilled bowl, combine cocoa and both sugars, whisking to combine well. Add cold milk and whisk until sugars are dissolved. Stir in cold heavy cream and vanilla. The colder everything is, the better.
- Churn and Freeze: Pour mixture into the freezer bowl of ice cream maker. Let run for 25-30 minutes, or until mixture is thick, soft, and creamy. Churned ice cream should increase in volume, reaching the top of the machine’s freezer bowl. Transfer to airtight container and freeze at least 2 hours or until ice cream is desired consistency.
- Serve: Prior to serving, let ice cream sit at room temp for a few minutes just to soften enough for easy scooping.
To chill your mixing bowl, place in freezer for a few minutes. You’ll want everything super cold so it churns successfully.
Keep ice cream maker’s freezer bowl in the freezer until ready to pour ingredients in. Follow your machine’s manufacturer instructions.
Have a container and rubber spatulas ready to transfer churned ice cream as soon as it’s done. You should have about 1.5 quarts, roughly the same amount as store-bought tubs. (Some machines make up to 2 quarts at a time.)
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating 🙂
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: 26.3 g
- Sodium: 30.9 mg
- Fat: 16.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.1 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 3.8 g
- Cholesterol: 47.7 mg
Keywords: homemade ice cream, chocolate ice cream
We All Scream for Ice Cream
The men of our family love this Minty Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, which is seriously as good as anything we’ve ever bought:
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream is my personal favorite! So creamy good!
If you’ve got a DQ fan, there’s nothing better than this Ice Cream Cake, with DQ Fudgy Crunchies!