Creamy Mustard Slaw (Mayo-Free!) | The First Mess3 min read
This vegan creamy mustard slaw is crunchy and so flavourful with two types of mustard, white wine vinegar, celery seed, fresh dill, sweet onion, and a hint of maple syrup. This is a mayonnaise-free coleslaw making it perfect for summer get togethers! Simple to make and ten-ish ingredients.
Everyone needs a good, creamy and fresh coleslaw recipe and this is my version. It’s about as close as I’ll get to a “classic” coleslaw, and it features so many of my favourite things. Dill? Check. Two types of mustard? Check and check! Paper thin slices of sweet onion? A very enthusiastic check.
And cashew butter dressing strikes again! Raw cashew butter is such an incredible ingredient, and I mostly utilize it in dressing for slaws. When mixed with water, mustard, vinegar, a few seasonings and a big drizzle of olive oil, it really gives that mayo coleslaw vibe, but it’s somehow lighter and a bit cleaner tasting. I’m a big fan! I know that folks try to avoid mayo dressings for summer cookouts, so this cashew butter strategy is extra purposeful within that context.
If you’re wondering: is this becoming a cabbage, dill and mustard recipes-only blog? Honestly it feels like it these days! But I do try to remain true to what I’m actually eating in real time here. My dill and kale plants are thriving and the local cabbage is still pretty sweet. I can’t get enough, and I hope that you feel the same haha.
One extra step that I take with this slaw that’s a bit unusual is lightly drizzling all of the shredded vegetables with vinegar and then tossing all of that up with lots of salt and pepper. Something about that tangy seasoned base that really works nicely before finishing the slaw with the creamy mustard dressing. I also garnish with more celery seed because my grandmother did that and I can’t let it go. So good.
Sending all of my best for the start of summer! Usually I’m kind of meh on the summer season because it’s so busy for us, but I’m really excited this year. Big love to you.
Creamy Mustard Slaw
This vegan creamy mustard slaw is crunchy and so flavourful with two types of mustard, white wine vinegar, celery seed, fresh dill, sweet onion, and a hint of maple syrup. This is a mayonnaise-free coleslaw making it perfect for summer get togethers!
Servings: 4 -6
Creamy Mustard Dressing
- 3 tablespoons raw cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar, plus extra
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or agave nectar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon celery seed, plus extra
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups sliced kale leaves, packed
- 1 cup shredded/julienned carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh dill, plus extra
In a small bowl, whisk together the cashew butter, grainy mustard, Dijon mustard, water, white wine vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil, celery seed, salt, and pepper. Once creamy and thoroughly combined, set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the green cabbage, kale, carrots, sweet onion, and dill. Give the vegetables a little splash of white wine vinegar and season liberally with salt and pepper. Toss to coat everything as evenly as possible.
Pour the creamy mustard dressing over the vegetables and toss until all of the shreds are evenly coated in the dressing. To serve, sprinkle some extra chopped dill and celery seed on top. Enjoy!
- This mustard dressing is inspired by one from Amy Chaplin’s At Home In The Whole Food Kitchen, one of my favourite cookbooks!
- If you want a more neutral, mayonnaise-y vibe, substitute avocado or grapeseed oil for the olive.
- I like to make long ribbons of carrot with a veg peeler here.
- I use my Benriner mandoline to shred cabbage. I’ve had it for 10+ years and it’s never let me down!
- I use Artisana brand cashew butter and I buy it from a local health food store.