Everything Bagel Seasoning · i am a food blog3 min read
It’s super easy to make homemade everything bagel seasoning: only 5 ingredients and less than a minute of your time!
Everyone loves everything bagel seasoning, am I right? I throw that stuff on everything like it’s going out of style. It’s that secret ingredient that you can add to anything to add flavor. I like to think of it like furikake – that magical Japanese seaweed seasoning mix that tastes amazing on rice and noodles. Essentially it’s the same thing, a mix of salt and spice that makes everything taste nice.
What is everything bagel seasoning?
Everything bagel seasoning is the seasoning that goes on the outside of everything bagels. Every bagel maker has their own mix but commonly they include poppy seeds, sesame seeds, onion flakes, garlic flakes, salt, pepper, and sometimes caraway seeds. Everything bagels are delicious because they well, they have everything! Everything bagels are so popular that the seasoning is now used on everything from croissants to rolls and even chips.
How to make everything bagel seasoning
It’s super easy to go out and buy a jar of the stuff, but did you know that it’s almost just as easy to make it at home? All you do is mix together toasted sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic, dried onion, and salt. Boom, instant flavor. And so much cheaper!
Everything bagel seasoning ingredients:
- Toasted sesame seeds – These are the best part of everything bagel seasoning. Nutty and toasty and warm. I like using a mix of black and white sesame seeds.
- Poppy seeds – Poppy seeds add a perfect little crunch with a hint of fruitiness.
- Dried garlic flakes – Garlic lovers unite because dried garlic flakes are intense little nuggets of flavor. Sometime they call this minced dehydrated garlic.
- Dried onion flakes – Sometimes called dehydrated minced onion, these little flakes are essentially onions, chopped up fine and dehydrated.
- Salt – I like using flaky sea salt but sometimes I omit it entirely and just salt my dish to taste. It’s really up to you, but if you are going to add salt I recommend a flaky sea salt or a smoked salt for extra flavor.
That’s it! All you do is mix it up. The best part of making everything bagel seasoning at home is that you can adjust the ratios to your liking. If you want more poppy seeds, go nuts. If you think everything bagel seasoning is a touch to salty, add less. Your everything bagel can be custom tailored to you. I love making our own mix because I find commercial everything bagel spice to be a touch too salty.
Garlic and onion flakes vs garlic and onion powder
If you can, seek out garlic flakes and onion flakes because they are not the same as garlic and onion powder. Garlic and onion powder are pulverized, powdered versions, whereas flakes are tiny dehydrated pieces. You could use the granulated versions but it won’t the same look and feel, and you may need to use less than the recipe indicates because of their smaller size. You can find dehydrated garlic and onion flakes online and in the section near the salad dressings.
What does everything bagel taste like
Use everything bagel seasoning when you want to something to taste:
You can use everything bagel spice on:
Click the links for recipes and ideas
Recipes with everything bagel spice:
Everything Bagel Seasoning Recipe
You’re only 5 ingredients away from toasty, nutty, salty, oniony, garlicky heaven.
- 1.5 tbsp toasted sesame seeds see notes
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp dried minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 tsp flaky sea salt or coarse salt
If you have some toasted black sesame seeds on hand, mix it up, it’ll make your everything bagel seasoning extra pretty.
Everything Bagel Seasoning Recipe
Amount Per Serving (1 tsp)
Calories from Fat 8
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 0.1g1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.